Thursday, September 24, 2009

Where Did Up & Up COME from?

I consider myself to be a reasonably loyal consumer when it comes to certain brands. Dish soap, shampoo, dog food – only the best brands for me and my beloved pets. Yet, others, maybe not so much. I also like bargains and have been known to clip coupons after I have read my Sunday Trib. However, I’ve never been a real consumer of store brands. I just seem to feel more comfortable with the stuff you see on TV; the PREMIUM brands. Which was why I was stunned to look around my house and see Up and Up everywhere. Up and Up aspirin, and fiber pills. Up and Up tissues, dryer sheets and contact lens solution. What happened?

For those of you who don’t know, up and up seems to be Target’s new store brand. But, instead of calling it Target brand, which they used to do, they RE-branded and launched Up and Up sometime in the last few months. And I fell for it hook, line, and sinker.(and WALLET!)

In these tough times, value wins out. And the Up and Up brand boasts prices that are 30% lower than premium brands. So for some things, I am willing to forgo my ego and save the dollars. I’m not saying I’m switching hair care products, but for lots of the day to day stuff, I say welcome Up and Up.

So what is my point? I guess it’s this. A little re-branding can go a long way. For some of you, that may entail creating packages for small business called, “Start Up Kits” that include business cards, envelopes, door hangers, and brochures. As I always say, get creative. Brand a few of the items that you sell every day, but in a new way, and you might just see new clients coming through your door. Or, you just might discover a new application for a service you’ve been offering for years. Want to discuss this further? I’m all ears!

No comments:

Post a Comment