Sunday, September 27, 2009

On the Other Hand....

Thursday I talked all about brand loyalty (or lack thereof) and getting creative with re-branding some of your offerings. Today I am going to talk about when a person or company will pay a premium no matter what.

I love Aveda makeup and haircare products. I spend a lot of money on them. When I was out of work for 4 months before I took this job with Canon, I never stopped buying Aveda products. Here’s why:

About 10 years ago I was invited to a series of free seminars hosted by The Aveda Institute on a variety of topics – Skin care, make-up, the effects of aromatherapy. During each event, an industry expert, (and Aveda employee) gave very informative talks about the products and why they were worth the investment. They covered issues like the environment (all plant based – read GREEN), the fact that they are never tested on animals, and let’s face it, they make you look and feel good.

After each seminar I made a modest investment in whatever topic they were covering. A year later, there was nothing else in my bathroom but Aveda. But let me tell you what else I learned….

These products last FOREVER!!! I honestly believe that I buy makeup a third as often as people who buy the kind of makeup you can get at Walgreens. So the question really becomes this, “Does it really cost me more to use Aveda?” And I can honestly answer that, no I do not believe that it costs me more. I believe there is a perception in the marketplace that Aveda is a splurge, but examining it close up, I come out ahead. And I feel good too.

Oh – And I forgot the best part. They have a rewards program that gives you points for every dollar you spend. In the last 2.5 years, I have enjoyed 2 spa days at local Aveda salons compliments of Aveda. Free facials, massages and body scrubs – all for free, all because I am a fiercely loyal customer.

I would challenge you to find ways to make this concept apply to your business. How can you acquire more clients who are so dedicated to your services, so loyal to YOU that they would never conceive of using another vendor, regardless of your prices or anything else? Let’s talk about this some more. My brain is always available to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment