Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A Different Way of Seeing

When something doesn’t work for me, I try to change it as quickly as I can. Which brings me to my territory. For a lot of my territory, I have to take 294 south to get there. And as many of you know, 294 is a gut wrenching nightmare of construction right now. To top it off, my GPS device does not have the 355 extension upgrade yet. So you know what that means. I had to use an (gasp!) ATLAS to take a look at my territory and find better ways to get around. So I went to Target, upgraded my 11 year old atlas and discovered taking 355 to 80, and my life has been better ever since.

But something even better happened. A couple of years ago there was a bridge collapse in Minnesota that has left me with a pretty crippling fear of big bridges. It takes a lot of trust in a lot of engineers and cement workers to cross a 1.3 mile bridge that spans the DesPlaines River Valley at a height of over 90 feet. The first few times I crossed it, I fought back tears and almost hyperventilated til I could see solid earth beneath my four tires again. Now, I cross that bridge many times each week, and I sometimes don’t even notice that I’ve crossed it til I’m over it.

So I guess you could say there’s a silver lining (or many) to the 294 construction project.
1. I challenged myself not to put up with things as they are when they did not work for me.
2. I overcame a deep seated fear
3. Eventually, 294 will reopen better and stronger than it was before
4. I ASSUME that this and other road projects are employing lots of people who might otherwise be out of work
The bridge is actually really beautiful and considered to be an engineering marvel (and also the 4th largest bridge in Illinois) God Bless Google (which taught me all these interesting tidbits)

What are some ways that you can look at current challenges you face and try to see them in a new light? If you think I’m sounding a little new-age-y right now – you’d be correct. I love me some books, articles and websites that focus on self improvement. They make me a happier person. No doubt about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment