Monday, November 23, 2009

Ways to Find New Customers - Part 4

I am a big fan of collaboration. I also really like cliches. So when you hear me say "Two heads are better than one", what I mean by that is that there is a lot of value in surrounding yourself with people whose opinions you value, or people who can do something for you. One great example of this is networking groups.

I first came to a networking group very reluctantly drawn in by a customer when I was selling printing about 8 years ago. He told me about LeTip saying that they meet once a week for breakfast and to exchange leads. The exchanging leads part I liked. The once a week thing I did not. But, I bit the bullet and joined, and great things happened to me. Not only did I pick up new business - these groups often offer category exclusivity so you would theoretically be the only printer in the room, but I made great contacts. There is usually a real estate agent, a financial planner, and an attorney, and at different times in my life I have needed all of the above, so it was very beneficial.

I have already checked for groups in the south suburbs of Chicago (my apologies to my followers elsewhere, but the websites will guide you) No one and I mean NO ONE will find these groups useless. However, like many things in life, you get out what you put in. You will likely be required to produce leads for other members, and the more leads you give, the more you will get. You can often get invited to try a meeting on for size for free, so go ahead and see if it is for you.

Alternatively, there are a lot of community groups, chambers of commerce, and civic and charitable organizations that will serve the same purpose. With these groups it is more beneficial to get on a committee to gain some additional visibility - you have to spend some time and energy to get a return, but again, worth the time and effort? Most definitely. And you might just end up doing some good, too.

www.letip.com
www.bni.com
www.babblebee.com

HAPPY NETWORKING!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kelly, I agree. Networking is probably one of the most important things someone can do to find new prospects/customers. You can never have too many friends or contacts.

    Love the blog, keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete