Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Who is your MENTOR?

I saw a re-run of an old Seinfeld the other day about the mentor/protege relationship, in which Jerry's girlfriend's mentor is dating Banya, one of Jerry's rivals on the comedy scene. It got me thinking about mentors and mentees, and whether those relationships exist today. I remember my first professional mentor - my boss in my first job out of college. We were working in retail and she taught me a lot about standards, professional behavior, and goals. Over the years, few of my mentors could be considered bosses. Some were headhunters, and one was a business coach who I have done some consulting for in the last year or two. Here are some things I have learned about this relationship called mentoring.

1. There are no rules or guidelines, and often nothing formal involved. Often, if you find value in the advice or listening skills of a peer, competitor, customer or friend, that person is a mentor to you.

2. The mentor does not have to be older or more experienced than you. Again, this is all about reflection, getting ideas, advice, and feedback.

3. The mentor is not always right, so it is always important to listen to that voice in the back of your mind. Your true gut is always your greatest ally.

4. You can't have too many mentors. It took me a long time to be able to say out loud, "I need some help. I need to get other's views on this topic before I make a decision." We always want to be self sufficient, but that does not always serve us so well.

5. The internet is no substitute for authentic relationships. I belong to a lot of groups in which people seek advice about equipment, services, or just about anything. Just remember, everyone has an ulterior motive on the web- the advice you seek could be coming from someone who has a vested interest in the outcome. So, finding neutral people you can trust becomes even more important. Take me for example. My ultimate goal is to help make printers more money in digital printing, but it only serves ME when they choose Canon Business Solutions. I have chosen not to sell a product to a prospect because it would not fit their application, but not everyone is as honest as me!

In a nutshell, mentors are good. Being one is good and leaves you with a sense that you are giving back. Having one is like having a free coach at your disposal. If you aren't one or don't have one, see what you can do to change that. And I'm always available!

No comments:

Post a Comment