Saturday, October 17, 2009

Beat the Competition, but in a NICE Way!

Ours is a world of tough competitors (to borrow a phrase from Jerry Maguire). Today we have to worry about offshore companies, internet low cost providers, and office supply companies, not to mention the freight carriers FedEx and UPS. Our goals are to keep margin, keep our customers satisfied, and continue to find new revenue streams to keep us healthy.

But what I want to discuss today is our attitude about all of those competitors. And if I had to put it in a nutshell, in two words, I would say HIGH GROUND. Here are a few fundamentals I try to adhere to as much as possible.

1. I don’t say my competitors name out loud. Now, if the prospect or customer introduces the topic, I will follow, but I never introduce it and I try to steer away from it and keep the conversation focused on my companies’ value and how I can help solve problems for my customers and prospects.
2. I do everything I can to avoid saying anything bad. Sure I have strong feelings about my competition, and much of that might be negative. And, when they are slinging mud, it might be human nature to join them in the slop. But I don’t. I will make comments that are based in fact, such as BBB ratings, factual testimonials made regarding the performance of my competitions’ offering, or published third party assessments like The Buyers’ Laboratory. But I keep my comments clean and positive.
3. I focus on the differentiating factors. If my competitions’ price is lower, I face it head on, and can explain very clearly why what I am offering is worth more. It might be image quality, paper handling, post sales support, service, or environmental commitment. I know what the competitors “strengths” are apt to be, and can answer and rebut those supposed advantages. For example, for a printer competing with an on-line company that is a supposed low cost provider, I would focus on customer support, the ability to see a proof, the low cost (or free) shipping that comes with doing business locally, and the overall personal relationships that do not exist when you are dealing with a lights out gang run shop. I would be able to explain what gang running is and what lights out means, and tell my prospect why dealing with me brings security, flexibility, and increased value due to a long range commitment to partnership.

So the next time you feel threatened by the internet, Staples, or an offshore printer, take the high road, but be ready to turn that conversation very skillfully to what YOU bring to the table and why dealing with you has more value and is an overall more profitable experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment